The world is an organized chaos. It’s a mystery how it can go from day to day while trying to keep disorder at bay. But if you will look closely, it’s apparent that one of the things that help people living with comfort and peace is technology. From the very first motorized air compressor in 17th century to the latest iPhone model today—we could say that technology has tremendously evolved over time. What’s amazing is that technology did not only give comfort to human’s daily life, but it also proved that it can re-create something out of what’s wasted into something that is brand new and usable. Take for example, the air purifier.
What is an air purifier?
Not many people are familiar with this machine. If you live in a first-world country or a place where there are four seasons in a year, you’ve probably heard about the air purifier. This device primarily has a sole purpose: to suck up the contaminated air inside a particular area and produce a clean and purified air. In Western houses, like the ones in USA, Canada, and UK, air purifiers are a common thing inside the house. These devices are marketed for home use and are even considered as an important home appliance to have. Dusts, dust mite excretions, pollen, mold spores, and pet dander are some of the air contaminants that an air purifier eliminates. It can also remove second-hand smoke particles and some volatile organic compounds from the air; these usually can pose harm onto one’s health if not removed.
Generally, an air purifier falls into two types: active and passive. An active air purifier functions with ionisation when purifying the air, while the passive type uses an air filter to eliminate the contaminants. The latter is preferred by most users because of its efficiency in cleaning out the air; a passive air purifier can permanently eliminate even the smallest dust and particulate matter.
Although there are various air purifying technologies used like thermodynamic sterilization (TSS), ultraviolet germicidal irridation (UVGI), activated carbon, photocatalytic oxidation, ozone generation, immobilized cell technology, titanium dioxide, ionization, and polarized media electronic cleaning, air purifiers equipped with HEPA Filters are mostly preferred by users. The high-efficiency particulate arrestance or HEPA filter eliminates 99.97% of 0.3 micrometer contaminants; these particles are trapped through forcing the air against the filter, where the airborne particles are caught.
Does an Air Purifier Make the Air Dry?
This is probably one of the questions most air purifier users have in mind. Before going into that, first we need to understand what dry air causes and how it affects your health? Here are some of the effects of inhaling dry air for a long time:
- It causes potentially dangerous respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis. Because dry and crisp air is inhaled, the sinuses, nose passageway, throat, and mucus membranes will dry up, causing nose bleeding, sinusitis, and sore throat. It can also cause general dehydration because your body fluids are depleted when you’re breathing dry air.
- Dry air also causes skin moisture to evaporate. When you have dry skin, you are more prone to skin irritations like itches and rashes. It also causes the eye fluids to dry up. When the eyes are dry, they are more likely to be easily irritated.
- When dry air is present, the body is also more prone to irritative effects like static electricity.
- Body temperature is also affected when the required room temperature is lower than expected. Apparently, the body will feel colder.
Dry air might seem common, but it really is something that you should not ignore. Now, the question is, does air purifier make the air dry? No, it doesn’t. An air purifier doesn’t have water built up inside its system; even if the air around is high in humidity. Because if it has, the air won’t be able to pass through the filters and dirt caught-up will be impossible. Even if there is liquid build-up, the water produced is by-product and not from the air inside the room; and this liquid is generated because there are some air purifiers that use UV light to break down contaminants into water and carbon dioxide. That is why a lot of people are opting to purchasing 2-in-1 air purifier and humidifier units. These are called combo devices; they are very handy especially during winter and summer, when humidity is higher or lower than normal. Not only does a 2-in-1 device purify the air, but it’s also capable of regulating the humidity levels inside the room. If you are interested in purchasing a 2-in-1 device, here are some advisable brands for you:
1. Dreval D-950 Air Purifier True HEPA Filter Humidifier UV Light Negative Ion Generator Combo – This device is considered as one of the best air cleaner and humidifier combo units in the market. The Dreval D-950 is carefully engineered to produce the best air quality it can. With a 99.9% cleaning quality against air pollutants like dust, pollen, and mold spores, this 2-in-1 device will make sure that you and your family are breathing pure air while you’re at the comfort of your home. D-950 is also equipped with multiple filters to ensure maximum air filtration. Even better, it has built-in features like ultrasonic humidifier and negative ion generator. It also comes with a UV lamp for accurate specification. What’s amazing about this model is its Odor Sensor technology that detects air-borne particles and odors and its ability to automatically adjust the fan speed for a better air quality. It can be used even in large rooms. And the best thing about this? It’s extremely quiet when functioning, which also gives you that noiseless comfort. For only $369 from Amazon.com, you’re sure to get this high-quality 2-in-1 device.
2. Sharp KC-850U Plasmacluster Air Purifier with Humidifying Function – Sharp is also one of the credible brands in the market that produce quality products. One of the home appliances that they offer is the KC-850U that functions as both air purifier and humidifier. It is designed with the Plasmacluster technology that automatically adjusts ion levels for fresher air; with the combination of Humidification function, the device increases humidity to ensure air quality especially during winter. The KC-850U is also certified by AHAM and an Energy Star Compliant. Even better, this device can clean air and humidify a room that’s as large as 254 square feet. You can get this from Amazon.com for as low as $304.99.
3. Venta LW25 Airwasher 2-in-1 Humidifier and Air Purifier (Black) – Venta is a known and trusted brand when it comes to producing quality air purifying products. If you’re a little low on a budget, this 2-in-1 device suits your needs. The LW25 can purify air and humidify a room that’s as large as 400 feet. This is typically an ideal combo unit for a master bedroom or a living room. One good thing about this is it does not emit ions, white dust, or ozone; a criteria that’s not only good for your health, but for the environment as well. Even better, it is built with no filter, and you won’t have the hassle of cleaning the filters every now and then. The unit can be set into three fan speeds and it also has a 2-gallon water reservoir for its humidifying function. You can purchase Venta LW25 Airwasher for as low as $228.99 from Amazon.com.
4. Beurer LW110 Air Washer & Humidifier – This is definitely a device that you can say a bang for your buck. The 2-in-1 device provides high-quality air purification and humidification without causing you to splurge a lot of money. Air-borne allergens such as paper dust, pet dander, and mold spores are no escape with its highly efficient air purifying function. It can also humidify the air inside the room ranging from 40-60 percent. Getting this unit is a must if you or your family members are suffering from allergies. Even better, the LW110 boasts of a three-fan power level, a water level indicator, and the switch for safety shutdown, which is handy when the device runs out of water. It’s also user-friendly; you can easily operate it through the back-lit LCD display. The detachable parts of the 2-in-1 device can even be washed using a dishwasher! Not only that, it also operates quietly and it’s energy efficient. The LW110 comes as a filter-free unit. You can get this for only $176.63 from Amazon.com.
5. Oreck WK15500B Air Refresh 2-in-1 HEPA Air Purifier & Ultrasonic Humidifier – If you’re looking for air purifier and humidifier for small rooms like nurseries, bedrooms, and dens, the Oreck WK15500B is perfect for you. This device captures 99.0% of air pollutants (0.3 microns) like dusts, mold spores, and pet dander. Are you very keen on getting rid of that moldy smell inside the house? Fret not, the Oreck WK15500B is equipped with a charcoal filter to eliminate bad odor from the air. Even better, the device provides an easy-to-read indicator about the filter’s capacity/life; it will notify you when it’s time to replace the filter. The unit also has an Auto Power Off function when the water tank (for the humidifier) runs low. Its ultrasonic humidification technology brings out a refreshing cool mist to safely moisture the dry air. What’s more, its silence technology will make sure that it does the job without disturbing your sleep. For $377.91, you can buy this product from Amazon.com. It’s a little pricey, but you’re sure of the quality.
6. Green Pure Mist Air Washer – Do you want to purchase a 2-in-1 humidifier and air purifier, but you can’t go beyond your hundred-dollar budget? This is the answer to your shopping needs. When it comes to performance, the Green Pure Mist Air Washer can purify up to 98.9% of air-borne pollutants and humidify a room as large as 400 square feet. Its Water Filter technology lets you use the device without having to worry about replacing the filter over time. Even better, its Antimicrobial tank (where water is contained) can run up to 70 hours within a medium-sized room. It also boasts of a Variable Humidification Control and an Auto Shut Down function. When it comes to maintenance, you don’t have to worry about the complicated process of cleaning it; the Green Pure Mist Air Washer is easy-to-clean and easy-to-use. You can purchase this from Amazon.com for as low as $89.99! Now, that’s a cheap price considering the benefits you’re getting. The product comes with a 60-day Full Refund and a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
7. Venta LW45 Airwasher 2-in-1 (Black) – Are you looking for a combo unit that can purify air and humidify a room that’s as large as 800 square feet? Venta has the exact product you’re looking for. The LW45 model is one of Venta’s combo units that are specially designed for large indoor areas like function rooms, gym, and convenient stores. You can even use it for your entire house! Not only does it purify air from dusts, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other air-borne contaminants that are as small as 0.3 microns in size, but it also simultaneously humidifies a room housed by dry air. Unlike other 2-in-1 combo units, the LW45 does not produce white dusts because of its Cold Evaporation technology; and it’s hygienic and user-friendly too! With its Auto Shut Down function, you won’t have to worry turning it off when the water runs out. Additionally, this unit has a 3-gallon water capacity and it also has a refill indicator light. For only $399.99 from Amazon.com, you can purchase this product that comes with a 10-year warranty.
Air purifiers and humidifiers are essential for every Western home; you’re not just dealing with simple issues here, but you and your family’s overall health. You would want to make sure that while you’re at the comfort of your home, the air you breathe is purified and free from air-borne toxins. If you’re worried about air purifiers making the air dry, although this is a myth, it’s only practical to purchase a humidifier. And it’s even more practical if you purchase a 2-in-1 unit to save time, money, and effort. So, what are you waiting for? Go to Amazon.com and purchase your very own 2-in-1 air purifier and humidifier now!
For more information about air purifiers and humidifiers, feel free to visit this website.