Nose bleed. It’s not painful per se, but the mere fact that you realize that a crimson liquid is gushing out of your nostrils is enough to give you the panic. Although nosebleed is caused by many things, one of these is the weather. Seasons change and when it does, the body adjusts to the outdoor and indoor temperature. One of the body parts that get easily affected when the weather changes is the nose passageway; and if it is sensitive enough, you might get a nosebleed.
If you live in a country where seasons change four times a year, you probably are aware that devices can help you cope up during season transitions. Take for example, the air purifier. This device comes in handy not only during hot or cold months, but it’s a unit that you’re going to need for all seasons! But did you know that even an air purifier can cause nose bleeds?
An air purifier typically purifies the air in an indoor or enclosed area. Its main purpose is to turn polluted indoor air into clean breathable air through different technologies like ionization, filtration, ozone, and ultraviolet light. This device can get rid of various air contaminants like pet dander, dusts, mold spores, pollen, and even second-hand smoke. Many consumers have testified that air purifier greatly helped them in their daily living. Because air purifiers get rid of indoor air pollution, seasonal allergies, and respiratory conditions like bronchitis and asthma have higher rates of prevention. Some even considered air purifier as a life saver.
Air Purifier Health Benefits
Not familiar with what good an air purifier does inside the home? Here are some of the benefits when you have this:
- If you’re suffering from seasonal allergies or are just allergic to dusts, pollens, and other tiny air particles, an air purifier can prevent your allergies from spiking up. Most of the air purifier products in the market, especially the passive types that are equipped with HEPA filters, can get rid of air contaminants as small as 0.03 microns. If you’re not familiar with “microns”, consider that the smallest particle that your naked eyes can see is about 0.10 microns.
- If you are frequently getting sore throat, an air purifier can help in lessening its symptoms. Air particulates can irritate your nose passageway and throat whenever you breathe in. Having an air purifier inside your home will give you the confidence that you’re breathing in pure and clean air.
- If you have just given birth to a beautiful baby, a high-quality air purifier can also come handy to your parent duties. Newly born babies’ lungs are still developing, that is why it’s crucial and important to give them the freshest air they could breathe in. Having an air purifier inside your home will definitely give you a sigh of relief, knowing that your baby it not being affected by indoor air pollution.
- If you’re one of those who are born with sensitive skin and chronic skin irritability is taking the joy from your day, you’d probably want to consider having an air purifier inside your home. This device is also an effective tool in reducing skin conditions like rashes and dryness—both of which are directly linked to skin irritation.
Air Purifier, Nose Bleeds, and Other Health Concerns
Although most consumers love air purifiers because of the health benefit it gives, not everyone shared positive views about this. Some people expressed their concerns about the side effects of having an air purifier at home. Does air purifier make you sick? Does it cause other common illnesses like sore throat, dry throat, or skin irritation? Do air purifiers cause nose bleed? These are just some of the questions most consumers might have in mind—especially the latter. But the truth is, if you’re wondering if an air purifier causes nose bleed, yes it does. But fret not! It’s not because how your air purifier was made. This device, long before you were even born, was invented and through the years, manufacturers have carefully designed and re-designed the air purifier to meet high consumer standards. And if you’re wondering, an air purifier causes nose bleed because of the possible reasons:
- Your air purifier is not located or placed on an ideal spot – Most consumers commit a common mistake when placing their air purifiers at home. They put it on a spot where they usually hang out or chill. Of course, one would reason out that to get the most out of the device’s air purifying activity, it should be placed near. This is actually a wrong practice. Keep in mind that although an air purifier is carefully designed to give you the freshest of air, prolonged exposure near this device may cause the sinuses and throat to dry up; thus, causing dizzy spells, headaches, and even nose bleeds. In worse cases, if the consumer places an air purifier on the bed side and he’s suffering from sleep apnea, this has the possibility of triggering the condition. Keep in mind that the key areas in the room where an air purifier must be placed are the corners of the house. Don’t place two units adjacent to each other, especially if you’re using high-powered air purifiers.
- Your air purifier is highly elevated – When you’re in a place where there is higher altitude, the lesser oxygen you can get from the air. This also applies when positioning your air purifier unit. The latter recycles air, especially the passive units that are equipped with HEPA filters, and pushes through purified air. If the air purifier is placed in an elevated area, because of the higher altitude, lesser oxygen is provided. Less oxygen intake also contributes to various body reactions like nose bleeds. To prevent this from happening, place your air purifier at ground level for it to get and produce enough oxygen.
- It’s not the device, it’s the humidity! – The amount of water vapour in the air contributes in keeping your sinuses in good condition. When there is less humidity in an area, the air becomes drier and crisper, drying up the sinuses, nose passageway, and throat. This causes nose bleed. That is why there are some brands that came up with combo units: an air purifier with a built-in humidifier. Not only does this unit purify the air, but you can also opt to simultaneous air purifying and humidifying functions. It’s also the same when there is too much humidity; it triggers nasal congestion which can also cause nose bleed. For a situation like this, you can, instead, use a dehumidifier. This device releases warmer air and eventually lessens the humidity of an area.
To help you choose the right brand and product for your consumer needs, here are some air purifier, combo units, and dehumidifier products that you might want to consider buying:
LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier – This stand-alone air purifier unit is ideal not only for regular air pollutants, but it also gets rid of wildfire smoke and ashes. The LEVOIT LV-H132 boasts of a 3-Stage Filtration system. First, the contaminants are trapped on a pre-filter before the air passes through the TRUE HEPA Filter. Odor is removed and air is purified as it passes the third stage, which is the Activated Carbon Filter. The best thing about this air purifier is it gets rid of indoor air pollution for about 99.97%! Particles as small as 0.03 microns are in no way can escape this device. For health-conscious consumers, you can be confident that the LEVOIT LV-H132 is ozone-, UV-, and ion-free. It also has a 3-speed setting for various room conditions with a noise level of 50dB—it quietly operates at night! This device also consumes 28watts of energy and is also attached with a night light that features two brightness settings. Its small but unique size makes it ideal to place anywhere inside the room. At a price of $89.99 from Amazon.com, the product comes with a 2-year warranty. Keep in mind that filters must be replaced every six months or sooner, depending on the air quality you have indoors. You can purchase LEVOIT Air Purifier LV-H132 filter replacements with True HEPA and Activated Carbon Filters Set from Amazon.com at the price of $16.99. Imagine, that’s only $33.98 for a year’s supply of replacement filters! Amazon.com also offers this product with one or two extra filter sets at affordable prices. This is a perfect gift for your loved ones, friends, and even colleagues!
Sharp KC-850U Plasmacluster – This is an example of a combo unit, an air purifier with a humidifying function. Unlike filter-equipped air purifiers, the Plasmacluster purifies air through ionisation. This means that it’s not equipped with HEPA filters and there is no need for filter replacements over time. The Plasmacluster can cover a room with the size of up to 254sq. feet. It also boasts of a “Clean Air” or “Clean Air and Humidity” function. With its ionisation technology, the Plasmacluster regulates the balance of ion inside the room to keep the air circulating fresh. Even better, it is AHAM certified and is an Energy Star Compliant. You can get this air purifier and humidifier for a price of $304.99 from Amazon.com.
Frigidaire FAD504DWD Energy Star – Whenever the humidity level increases from a regulated level, molds and mildew thrive. Not only that, moldy stench starts to hover all over the house. The worse that could happen when humidity increases is various body reactions like sore throat and nose bleeds. To keep these from happening, it’s wise to have a dehumidifier in the house along with your air purifier. A dehumidifier releases warmer air to keep the humidity at regulated level. This device is carefully designed to protect your home against mold and mildew that are triggered by excessive moisture indoor. Even better, the Frigidaire FAD504DWD Energy Star is also designed to get rid of bacteria thriving in the air. These bacteria might cause breathing difficulty or uncomfort if not eliminated. The stand-alone unit is easy-to-use and boasts of a humidity control that allows you to set the desired percentage of humidity inside your home. If placed in an area where suitable drain is available, the device’s continuous operation is possible. It also has a full tank alert and an auto shut-off function. The model comes with three variations from Amazon.com: (1) 30-pint capacity at $169.88, (2) 50-pint capacity at $189.00, and 70-pint capacity at $229.98.
Too much of anything is not good; just like when you are using an air purifier and are exposed on it for a long time; it can produce an unwanted outcome that might pose danger to your health. Whether you are using a stand-alone air purifier, an air purifier and humidifier combo unit, or a dehumidifier, keep in mind that these devices must be used with regulation and care. Do not skip maintenance and buy replacements on time. No matter how good the benefits are, if there is no proper use and care of the product, there is a chance that the effects will be reversed, causing health problems to you over time.
Yes, an air purifier causes nose bleeds—but not because of how the device was designed. Health reactions, like nose bleeds, are commonly encountered because of misuse and and abuse of the product. Do not feel discouraged about purchasing an air purifier for your home, because if you know how to take care of your home appliance, then there is confidence when using them. If you’re living in a place where the humidity is good, you can opt to buying a stand-alone air purifier; but if you’re located in a place where humidity must be regulated during change of seasons, then it’s wise to invest for an air purifier and humidifier combo unit. For better results, it’s also good to purchase a separate dehumidifier, so when humidity hikes on certain weather conditions, you won’t have to worry about breathing in bad indoor air.
If this article helped you in answering your questions, feel free to browse the website about air purifiers, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers.