If you’ve stumbled upon this article, then you’re probably a few steps away from purchasing an air purifier or a humidifier. First off, that’s a good decision. Nowadays, where air pollution and moody weather are just common things, it’s very practical to consider taking preventive measures in keeping your home clean and comfortable—and nothing beats an air purifier and humidifier combo. Now, if these products are new to you, it’s good to learn about them before making your first purchase.
What is an air purifier?
Viral bacteria, pollen, dirt, dust, and other air-borne particles are home to the streets. When you’re outside, it’s inevitable to catch these through inhaling. Not only that, your hair, clothes, shoes, and other things are also common targets for catching unwanted air particles. Well, this is OK, since there really isn’t anything you can do about it. But it’s when you get home that it becomes a potential problem. The moment you get inside your home, you don’t just bring your stuff in with you—but the dust, dirt, and everything you caught from the outside comes in your house too.
A home is a place where you relax and just chill. Of course, you would want your humble abode to be as comfortable as it can, right? How would you feel if your house smells funky or is full of dust? Would frequent sneezes bother you if you know that part of the reason why your allergies are spiking up is because you’re breathing in impure air?
There’s where an air purifier comes in. This device is one of technology’s miracles because it keeps homeowners feeling secure about the air they breathe inside the house. An air purifier is literally what its name says—it purifies air. The device typically eliminates air-borne contaminants and pollutants inside a room. In a simpler context, it cleanses the air you breathe, so that you can be sure that you’re only inhaling the purest of air sans the unwanted and unhealthy particles. Now, this device is advisable for asthmatic and allergic patients. Some people are very sensitive to dust or pollen; and their allergy or asthma is triggered when contaminants are inhaled. An air purifier can suck up those particles and in return can generate a cleansed air. This device is also advisable for people who smoke inside the house. An air purifier can also purify second-hand smoke, so that the other family members won’t inhale the potentially dangerous second-hand tobacco smoke. Here are some of the air pollutants that an air purifier cleanses or eliminate:
- Pet dander
- Dust mite poop / feces
- Mold spores
- Volatile Organic Compounds
- Various allergens
What is a humidifier?
On the other hand, a humidifier is a device that does not purify the air, but brings moisture to indoor humidity. During summer, the humidity can drop drastically. Same thing during winter; when seasonal activities like burning woods in fireplaces or using heater inside the house, the humidity can drop as low as 10-20%.
The bad thing about humidity dropping at an alarming level is it can cause nasal or even respiratory issues. When you breathe in air without moisture, the mucus membranes in your air passage way such as throat and lining inside your nose can dry up, causing adverse health effects like nosebleeding, dry eyes, sore throat, and dry skin. Even worse, some bacteria and viruses thrive when humidity is at its lowest, and it’s hard to ward off common illnesses during such situation.
Good thing, a humidifier was invented. This device regulates the humidity inside your home. There are many kinds of humidifiers that are available in the market; some are portable, which you can strategically place in your room, and some are bigger units that need to be installed inside the house. Some of the portable humidifiers are the following: evaporative humidifiers, natural humidifiers, vaporizers, impeller humidifiers, and ultrasonic humidifiers.
Can I use these devices at the same time in one room?
This is one of the most common questions asked by customers before buying an air purifier and a humidifier. Of course, one would want to use both devices at the same time, since these have different jobs to do. But some customers expressed concern about this, because apparently, using two air devices at the same time might cause a chemical reaction which can pose danger to the health.
First, you have to understand that an air purifier and a humidifier are completely two different things. The former cleanses the air, while the latter regulates the humidity inside the room. But if you are wondering if it’s safe to turn on both the air purifier and humidifier at the same time, then the answer is yes—BUT it depends on how you handle and place both devices. Here are some tips:
#1: Do not place both devices adjacent to each other
This is both a tip and a warning, especially if you are using a humidifier that produces warm mists. Keep in mind that there are humidifiers that boil water in order to produce warm mists. Accidents can occur anytime if you’re not cautious. If your humidifier and air purifier are placed adjacent to each other, and one device gets tipped off, it could mean danger, especially if the water spills out. Air purifiers are also known to produce a high amount of static electricity inside, so just imagine what disaster it could cause if a humidifier is tipped off against the machine.
It’s also safe to plug-in the devices on separate electricity outlet. Why? Because both devices require certain amounts of voltage; and if they are plugged and turned on at the same time, an electricity shortage is possible in random situations. So, to avoid this, it is safer to plug in the other device on the other side of the room. As a matter of fact, putting the devices on each side of the room actually promotes good air circulation. Even better, you’ll be able to get the best out of the devices’ performance because they are strategically placed inside your home. Are you still not confident about doing this? You could opt to the second choice.
#2: Purchase a 2-in-1 Unit
If you’re feeling a little generous, you can buy a device that has both an air purifier and a humidifier. These 2-in-1 devices are carefully engineered, so they can be at their optimum performance. Here are some useful brands for you:
- Sharp KC-850U Plasmacluster – This device is both an air purifier and a humidifier. You would be impressed to know that it can capture 99.97% of the air pollutants or particles lurking in the air. Even better, a KC-850U Plasmacluster can eliminate contaminants as small as 0.3 microns. Now, microns may sound really scientific, but consider it as a really, really tiny size. This Plasmacluster can also purify air and humidify a room as big as about 254 square feet. Not only that, it also has a True HEPA filter—a high quality filter and is certified by Energy Star because of its high energy efficiency. If you purchase this product, it’s backed up by a 1-year warranty. And the price? It costs about $350 from Amazon.com. It’s definitely a bang for your buck, considering the benefits you’re about to get.
- Dreval D-850 HEPA – This is also a good choice, if you’re up for spending a little more. Just like the previous model, this 2-in-1 device is also capable of eliminating 99.97% of airborne pollutants. As a matter of fact, it can remove air contaminants as small as a whopping 0.1 microns! It also has a function of regulating humidity levels. Now, this device is not a little more expensive for nothing. It can purify the air in an indoor facility that’s as big as 430 square feet. The product also features a quality True HEPA filter. It’s known for being energy efficient and even better; it comes with a 2-year warranty. And the price? This is all your for only $369 from Amazon.com!
- Venta Airwasher 2-in-1 LW25 – A little tight in the budget? Don’t worry, there’s always a product that suits your price without having to compromise the quality—like this one. This Venta 2-in-1 air purifier and humidifier can remove air impurities of about 99% efficiency. Of course, even the smallest particles can’t get away with this device. It also has a function of automatically raising humidity levels inside the home. It can purify air and humidify a room that’s as large as about 400 square feet—very ideal to put in living rooms or bedrooms. Plus, it doesn’t emit white dust, ions, or ozone. One good thing about this brand is it functions without the need of filter pads! With three fan speeds, it only consumes about 8W of energy. And the best thing? It comes with a 10-year warranty! You can purchase this product for as low as $230 from Amazon.com.
- Oreck WK15500B Air Fresh – This device typically cleanses about 99% of airborne contaminants and can eliminate small particles—as small as 0.3 microns. Even better, it generates cool mist that regulates the humidity level inside the room. If you’re looking for a product that can purify air and humidify a large room, this might not be the best product for your because it can only cover small rooms sizing up to 115 square meters. With the washable filter feature, maintenance is not that complicated—and you can even make sure that you’re using clean filters every now and then. It’s also designed to be energy efficient. The best thing about this product is its Silence technology, which is perfect when you just want to relax and sleep comfortably without any noise. The product comes with a 2-year warranty. It’s a bit pricey for about $377 from Amazon.com.
- Boneco 2-in-1 W200 – This is your best pick if you’re going for high-quality and low-price product. The Boneco 2-in-1, just like other popular brands, has a high contaminant removal efficiency. It’s elegantly and aesthetically designed—and it’s not just all looks—but it can purify air and humidify a large room that sizes up to 540 square feet. Even better, its detachable parts are washing machine and dish-washer safe, so you won’t have the hassle of cleaning them with your bare hands. The device can eliminate air particles such as household dust and pollen. The product is priced at $249 from Amazon.com, and it comes with FREE shipping too!
- Envion FS200 – This is a fair choice if you want to purchase a 2-in-1 device without having to splurge that amount of money. For about $150 from Amazon.com, you’d be able to purchase this product with FREE shipping from some suppliers. Now, what are you getting from more than hundred-dollar purchase? It’s actually considered a bang for your buck if you look at these: it is equipped with TRUE HEPA air purifier, humidifier, and ceramic heater. It can also eliminate or purify contaminants like: funky odor inside the home, common allergens, second-hand tobacco smoke, bacteria, and it can even prevent the thriving of molds. It functions about three times in an hour, cleansing the air inside large rooms. During warmer months, the device also works as a humidifier and a cooler through its built-in fan that operates independently. Its multiple function feature allows you to simultaneously set or adjust the temperature and humidity levels to your preference.
So, can you use an air purifier and a humidifier in the same room? Definitely! These 2-in-1 devices are a proof that two completely different products can be used at the same time. Whether you are considering to buy a separate product or are feeling generous to buy a 2-in-1 device, one thing is for sure: that you care about you and family’s health enough and money is not an issue. Besides, splurging money for an air purifier and humidifier is not a loss—but a gain—a long term gain for your health.
What are you waiting for? Log in your personal to Amazon.com now and start browsing for the best air purifier and humidifier now! For more information about these devices, feel free to browse this website.