The basement is one of the parts of the house that is seldom visited—unless you want to get something unused like old baby clothes, baseball bats, pool table, Christmas tree and decorations, old tools, and old toys. It doesn’t need daily maintenance, but it does need cleaning and taking care of regularly. It’s also one of the places at home where there is inadequate ventilation, lots of moisture, and lesser fresh air. On top of that, dusts, molds, mildew, and sometimes, even bacteria thrive inside the basement. That is why it’s important to have an air purifier and a dehumidifier in the basement to regulate indoor temperature and at the same time, keep air contaminants away.
Molds and mildew are your number 1 enemies when dealing with basement maintenance. Because there is a lot of moisture and less ventilation, these unwanted fungi thrive inside the room. Mold and mildew growth can occur on damp places like the basement’s concrete walls,flooded floors, the ceiling, on unused items, and to almost anything indoors.The bad thing about molds and mildew is they grow so fast and can leave permanent damages on things. The worst that could happen is these fungi, when inhaled, can cause health repercussions. On top of that, your basement, or home, will reek of a musty smell that is not pleasing.
Are you having a hard time dealing with these indoor culprits? Air purifier and dehumidifier are your very solutions. But if you’re here looking for an answer on which to buy, an air purifier or a dehumidifier for basement, then you’ve come to the right page. First,you need consider these few factors:
No, an air purifier will not eliminate molds and mildew – An air purifier is designed to purify indoor air pollution like dusts, dust mite feces, pollen, allergens, mildew and mold spores. That’s right, spores and not molds and mildew. The latter grow and stick fast onto anywhere they could spread. These fungi can be eliminated through a thorough wash using a concoction of water, soap, baking soda, vinegar, or borax; or you can also buy commercial products made especially for molds and mildew. However, what an air purifier can do is to eliminate mildew dust and mold spores—and these are the culprits why molds and mildew thrive almost anywhere too quickly. When dust sand spores are scattered into the air, they often times land on other areas and spread even more. If you are looking into buying an air purifier, make sure to purchase air purifiers that are filter-equipped because these have a 99.97%efficiency rate when it comes to trapping air particulates as small as 0.03 microns. Though an air purifier may not be able to eliminate the already existing molds and mildew on your old stuff, you can be sure that an air purifier can do its best in preventing these fungi from further multiplying.
A dehumidifier PREVENTS mildew and molds by dehumidifying the basement– Yes, it does not eliminate molds and mildew, but it regulates the humidity inside your basement. Because the basement is in the lowest part of your house,it apparently is not reached by sunlight. When a room is deprived with sunlight, it becomes cool, humid, and full of moisture. Also, when humidity is not regulated, your stored things in the basement become the target areas for molds. So, what should be the best preventive measure to keep molds and mildew from thriving? Regulate the humidity inside the basement. Using a dehumidifier,the excess moisture inside the room is eliminated and the air becomes drier,preventing unwanted fungi from spreading.
Using an air purifier alongside a dehumidifier has its benefits—if you’re talking about keeping your basement in good condition while preventing molds. While an air purifier cleanse the air from indoor air contaminants, the dehumidifier takes action by decreasing excessive moisture in the area. Although these two devices are perfect to put inside your basement, they cannot ultimately solve mold problem by eliminating pre-existing molds. After you get rid of these unwanted organisms, you can start using a combination of air purifier and dehumidifier to keep your basement in good shape. Based on studies conducted by the University of Central Florida, mold spores are sized between 3 – 40 microns. But if you’re using an air purifier that is equipped with True HEPA Filters, you can be confident that this device can show improvements after a few days of purifying the air. However, it would be wise to have extra filter sets because an air purifier’s performance is also based on air quality. Since basement is a place where dusts and mold content are multiplied, the air purifier will have to work three times more.
As for the dehumidifier, since i tis decreasing moisture in the air, the only maintenance that you have to do is probably removing excess water from its reservoir. With a little cleaning once in a while, it will do better.
Can I use an air purifier and dehumidifier 24/7?
This is probably one of the questions you have in mind. The answer would depend on what kind of device you have. Do you have a heavy-duty air purifier and a dehumidifier? Some units are designed to function for longer hours—even weeks! While some, usually the cheaper ones, need to be turned off and cooled down for a few hours before turning them on again. If you overuse or abuse an air purifier or dehumidifier, it might cause accidents like short circuits or fires.
For your reference, here are some air purifiers and dehumidifiers that you might want to consider buying:
- Purifier Enrichment PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier – This air purifier is best not only for your living room and bedrooms, but it’s also an effective device for your basement. The PureZone 3-in-1 is equipped with True HEPA filter that can capture dusts, pollen,second-hand smoke, pet dander, mold spores, and various household odors. With its UV-C light feature, it can destroy germs, viruses, fungi, and bacteria that are thriving in the air. With its Whisper-Quiet operation, its noise level only reaches up to 30dB; that means it sanitizes the air for easier breathing at a quiet operation! Even better, this device easily sets up in just seconds! The PureZone 3-in-1 also shuts off after 2, 4, or 8 hours of continuous function;this feature ensures energy efficiency. Ultimately, this device comes with a3-in-1 True HEPA Filter, a user manual, 24/7 customer support, and 5 years of warranty. You can buy this from Amazon.com with a price range of $89.99 -$169.99, depending on the condition (new or used).
- Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier – Winix is also a reliable brand. With a True HEPA Filter that captures 99.97% or indoor air pollution like dust mite feces, pet dander, pollens, allergens, second-hand smoke, mold spores, and other air pollutants as small as .03 microns, you’re sure that this device will clean indoor air effectively. The 5500-2 is also equipped with washable AOC Carbon Filter; the latter is made from specially designed activated carbon granulars that eliminate household odors made from various activities like cooking and smoking. Its PlasmaWave feature serves as a permanent filter to completely break down air pollutants like odor, allergens,and chemical vapors. The best part about this feature is it does not consist of ozone—a chemical that can pose danger to one’s health. The 5500-2 also boasts of a Smart Sensor that gauges the air and its Auto Mode alters the fan to filter indoor air when needed. You can also set the device into Sleep Mode fora silent operation at night. Even better, this device can cover up to 360 sq.ft. of room size. It is most suitable not only for medium and large rooms, but also for basements. Checking on Amazon.com, the device is priced at a discounted price of $159.00 from its list price of $249.99.
- Levoit LV-PUR131 Air Purifier – This device is specially designed to improve indoor air quality, especially with homes that are saturated with second-hand smoke and ashes. What’s amazing about the LV-PUR131 is it’s also ideal for wildfire smoke and allergies during allergy season. It is equipped with a 3-Stage Filtration System that consists of the following: a Pre-filter, True HEPA Filter, and an Activated Carbon Filter. It has 99.97% efficiency and is good for people who have stuffy nose. Additionally,it is also 100% ozone free and it does not use ionisation and or UV light that emit harmful air pollutants and ozone. With its Smart Auto mode, the device can automatically suggest fan speed to adjust to the room’s need for air purification. Even better, its Sleep mode lets you plug on the air purifier at night while you sleep, making it operate with less noise. You can also set the Auto-Off mode while you sleep to keep your respiratory system safe all throughout your sleep. The device can cover up to 322 sq. ft of room size and can purify the air in just about 10 minutes. What’s more, the product comes with a 2-year warranty and a lifetime support. Note: Because the product runs on a filtration system, the filters must be replaced every 6 months on average to keep the air quality in your home. It would be wise to purchase extra sets of filters upon buying this product. The Levoit LV-PUR131 is sold in Amazon.com for only $179.00.
- Trustech Portable Electric Dehumidifier– This product functions three-way: dehumidification, purification, and sterilization.Although it is mainly a dehumidifier, the two added features are also good for multi-function. The air outlet consists of a photocatalyst filter screen, and an ioniser. Its indicator shows the following: ioniser, dehumidifying,defrosting, and tank full. The display also shows the room’s current temperature and humidity. With its Whisper Quiet feature, the device’s dehumidifying function will work at its best without producing disturbing noises or vibrations. It is an eco-friendly product that’s perfect for dehumidifying your basement. The Trustech dehumidifier features a Semiconductor technology where the moisture and humidity in the air are eliminated at a satisfying rate. It protects your home from increased probability of rheumatism, molds, mildew, and excessive moisture. What’s amazing with this product is it only has one button (On/Off). It has an Auto Off function when the water tank finally reaches its capacity. Its Tank Full indicator produces abuzz when the water reservoir needs to be emptied again. This Trustech Dehumidifier is perfect for basements too and is available from Amazon.com at the price of $89.99.
- TOSOT 70-Pint Dehumidifier – This product is made for basements. When the humidity levels drop to 60%, it could be a breeding ground for allergens, mildew, and molds. Firstly, it boasts of a quiet operation; with a peak sound level of only 52 dB, you will hardly notice that this product is functioning. If you’re wondering, 52 dB is just as loud as a normal conversation at home. Even better, this device is Energy Star certified and consumes lesser energy; you can save up a few bucks from your electricity bills. It’s also easy-to-use and its spill-resistant bucket only needs to be emptied for just about 5 hours. Its LED display controls provide information about the room humidity level and the desired humidity target. Fan speed can also be set at desired level and the device itself can be activated for continuous draining.
Conclusion and Outcome
Although it is advisable to purchase combo units, it would be wiser to opt to buying separate devices for an air purifier and a dehumidifier. Why? Because with a stand-alone single function unit, you can be sure that the device is specially designed for its sole purpose. Say, you purchased a combo unit and later on, the air purifier goes kaput; that means you spent double for a 2-in-1 product and now you only have one working function for that product. Besides, tech support and warranty are also important and most of the time, you get the best services from brands that manufacture single-function devices. What are you waiting for? Log in to your Amazon account now and start your purchase for an air purifier and dehumidifier for basement!
If you learned a lot from this article, feel free to browse this website about air purifiers, humidifiers, and dehumidifiers.